Tuesday, September 29, 2020

you vitriolic, patriotic, slam fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched

Today was something. I woke up and was luxuriating in bed when I got an automated phone call that the guy who was going to install my new bedroom blind was going to be here at 8am, which was 30min earlier than the 2hr window in which he was supposed to arrive. So I sped through the shower and got my coffee going just in time for his arrival. I'm pretty excited about this new blind - as I think I've said before, the previous owner was a masochist who liked to wake up at dawn, while I prefer much more civilized hours (like ten a.m., when I'm not being a corporate whore). So I replaced his spendy mesh shade with an equally-spendy blackout shade, and now all is right with the world (or at least all is right with my bedroom).

I managed to do a bit of writing this morning before the chaos started in earnest, which was great. Work was a bit crazy, but nothing totally unusual - as I said to someone today, my whole job is putting out fires, and in my spare time I coach people to try to keep fires from starting. I was able to knock off around five, and then I made a somewhat elaborate dinner - I made a garlic chile shrimp + coconut rice from the Burma Superstar cookbook. I didn't instagram it yet because I didn't feel like doing it tonight, but it was pretty tasty - and it was only elaborate because it involved peeling two whole heads of garlic for the shrimp sauce. If I make this or the beef/potato curry again, I would be tempted to buy the pre-peeled garlic cloves from Whole Foods, because the garlic prep was the most involved part of both dishes.

Anyway, the shrimp turned out great (and really fast if you already have the garlic paste - which I do now, because the recipe for the paste is a double batch, so I have enough for another batch in my fridge). And the coconut rice is one of the best things ever. I then drank most of a bottle of v. expensive wine and watched the debate, which went about how I expected it to, but I will spare the sensitive feelings of some of my readers and not share my thoughts. Then I read a kitchen remodel magazine to decompress, and now I'm going to bed - goodnight!

No comments: