Saturday, October 15, 2022

i'm in the beauregards, slow me down if i get hard

Yesterday and today have been v. full of productivity, which is not what I signed up for with my #funemployed life. [jk, I am excited that I've been fairly productive since leaving the day job, which is not how the last two departures felt initially]

Yesterday, I was still in Cedar Rapids, where I enjoyed my free hotel breakfast before going to a coffee shop and writing for a couple of hours. [Censored] suggested that I go to Stillwater, which overlooks the river and has a v. city vibe - and I really enjoyed it, as well as the two pourover coffees that got me wired while I was there. I also wrote steadily for that couple of hours, and my story is taking strange and interesting turns, which means I really just want to be writing instead of doing manual labor.

However, I gave up the writing at lunchtime and met [censored]; we went to a place called Daisy's Garage, where I had a smothered chicken sandwich sans the sandwich part (so basically a chicken breast with peppers/onions/cheese) and some excellent tots. Then, [censored] took the afternoon off, so we went to Lowes to get some painting supplies, and then loaded a whole bunch of stuff in my car. I then drove home through a bit of rain the whole way, but the trip was otherwise uneventful. And I made it back in time to have Mexican takeout with my parents, which fortified me both yesterday and today, thanks to leftovers.

Today continued the productivity show - [censored] showed up last night, and we spent today doing myriad house projects. First, [censored] installed new overhead lights in my bedroom and my office, which wasn't entirely necessary (I'd gotten used to using the bare bulbs hanging overhead after painting) - but we needed to take the scaffolding down to the garage for our next project, and it had stayed upstairs for the express purpose of installing the lights. And I must say, I'm quite pleased that they're up and usable, so I'm one step closer to feeling settled in my bedroom/office.

Then, we hauled scaffolding downstairs, ate lunch, and spent the rest of the afternoon prepping the garage to paint the interior. This meant I spent most of the afternoon crawling around on concrete while wearing my gardening kneepads so that I could clean/tape/mask the trim. This was definitely not glamorous, but I will be happy when the garage is painted -- back doors around here are always the actual entrance, and the fact that everyone enters my house through the garage means I have some incentive to spruce it up. Also, if we don't paint it now, we will never paint it, so there's some incentive.

However, all of that effort made me tired, so [censored] and I mooched vegetable beef soup off the parents, then came back and watched a bit of TV before deciding that perhaps bedtime was in order. And so I should really sleep (which is what I planned to do an hour ago, before falling prey to online shopping). Goodnight!

No comments: