Monday, October 10, 2022

nirvana on the last try

I had a v. lovely day in #smalltownlife - while fall is definitely in the air and the colors are absolutely gorgeous, it was almost eighty degrees today. This was perfect for a long, meandering drive with my dad around the southern reaches of our county. I asked him to take me around and show me tings, although I didn't have any specific destination in mind - I am trying to figure out the vibe of my book, and because of my dad's unique history with this place, he has more stories than I will ever have.

So, he took me down a bunch of dirt roads (although one, which is part of the Iowa/Missouri line, was impassable enough that we didn't try it) and various gravel/paved roads and showed me things he thought might be interesting. I took a few photos to jog my memory later, and I made some notes. While most people think Iowa is flat, this area definitely isn't -- any number of things could happen in the draws and valleys that are shrouded by timber, and my mind is buzzing with possibilities.

All in all, it was a great afternoon, and I'm glad we made time for it. The rest of my day was fairly unproductive, but I need to get some more stuff done tomorrow - so I think it's time for bed. Goodnight!

No comments: