Friday, October 21, 2022

in the dark of armstrong park the marching bands attend, but they never make a sound

I had an excellent day in New Orleans. This city feels like a town that has already died, but the news of its demise hasn't caught up with it yet - which is probably why it feels a bit like home to me, even though I've never lived here and these ghosts aren't mine. This is my fifth trip here, and each time it feels like something calls to me - my French ancestors, or the waters that drain from my home to this delta, or just the feeling of grit and determination in the face of inevitable decay.

Or maybe it's the rum that calls to me. Regardless, it was a great day. We all got up around the same time, and we took an Uber to Cafe du Monde, where I succumbed to the gluteny allure of beignets (which were #worthit) and chicory cafe au lait. Then we wandered around for hours, had a decadent lunch at Herbsaint, and came home to take naps.

In the evening, we did a walking tour that talked about ghosts, vampires, voodoo, modern PTSD, etc. Then we had dinner and drinks at a wine bar, followed by hurricanes at the supposed original hurricane bar (terrible drinks, nice ambiance) and another drink at a nearby bar that I'd been to before and liked. And now, after getting home before midnight (which is v civilized in New Orleans), it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: