Saturday, October 01, 2022

sex, drugs, etcetera

I have nothing particularly noteworthy to report today. I somehow continue managing to sleep in despite having no window coverings in my bedroom (it's a good thing I can sleep despite it, since they're backordered until late October). So, I eventually got up, made coffee, and then made some v. delicious scrambled eggs with bacon, onion, and mushrooms. Then I took a shower, and eventually I buckled down to do some house work.

The main task for today was to get the basement in a bit better order so that I can shove a bunch of stuff into it from the garage. While [censored] was doing a variety of [censored] tings, I put together the two sets of wire rack shelves that came with me from Denver. [censored] graciously picked up three more sets of similar shelves on the way here this weekend; I didn't put those together, but the two I already had were a good start toward getting some boxes out of the way.

The other things we somehow successfully got out of the way were the water heater that died last Thanksgiving + a dryer that also died. I sort of assumed these things would just stay in the basement forever, since I certainly wasn't hauling them upstairs myself. But [censored], in a move that managed to surprise me even though I should not be surprised at what [censored] has the tools to do, was able to pull both the water heater and the dryer up the steps using a dolly + a [censored] attached to his [censored] and powered by his other [censored]. My effort mostly consisted of pushing the switch when told to push it, which pulled the cable and dragged the tings up the stairs. This was certainly better than dying while trying to lift either of those things. So, this felt like quite a successful adventure.

After that, I watched pieces of the Iowa State football game (sad), and also did some more organizing / started hauling things downstairs. Eventually, we went out to the parents' for supper - my dad smoked a brisket, and even though it had been smoking for twelve hours, it didn't get quite to the temperature he wanted. Still, it was extremely tasty, as were the scalloped potatoes that my mom made. And we were almost interrupted by Stinky (the neighborhood skunk), but [censored] scared him off before he made himself at home on the back porch.

And now, I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: