Saturday, October 22, 2022

just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

I had another lovely day in New Orleans - the weather is perfect, and we've made the most of our wandering/eating opportunities. I had a lazy morning, and then we went to brunch at Tableau. I've eaten there before, but not in their lovely courtyard, where I had some v tasty shrimp and grits in deference to my gluten issues. Then we wandered all over the French Quarter, had some coffee, bought some paper, etc.

After that, we found a hotel that had a Banksy mural painted post-Katrina, and then we went to Magazine Street to explore the shops of the Garden District. Eventually, we wandered back home, where I took a v necessary nap.

Then, we got dressed up and took the streetcar to dinner at Commander's Palace. It's a New Orleans institution, with excellent service and even more excellent food, and it was pretty much perfect tonight. To avoid glutening myself, I skipped the gumbo (even though I really wanted it) and instead got a perfect salad (romaine with bacon and egg, but very well executed) and an excellent steak with some spiced-up mashed potatoes. The meal was fantastic, as was the company, and we left happy.

Then we grabbed cocktails at the Columns Hotel, which was excellent, before coming home and discussing celebrity gossip. And then I read until now, but I really should sleep to fortify myself for the day ahead - goodnight!


No comments: