Thursday, October 13, 2022

who needs a house out in hackensack

I'm not living my #smalltownlife at the moment - instead, I'm in the large(ish) city of Cedar Rapids. When I woke up this morning, I hurried around to get ready, and then I drove for three hours to get up here in time to have lunch with [censored] at one of [censored]'s favorite eating establishments near the office. I had a BLT pizza on a gluten free crust that was really tasty - I have never had mayo on a pizza before, but it was delish. And it was fun to see the place that [censored] often eats at during the week, even if we didn't have a lot of time to dilly-dally.

After lunch, [censored] hooked me up with a conference room, so I took a call with Alyssa. Then [censored] gave me a tour of the building and introduced me to some people before I returned to my conference room hideout for my writing class. By the end of that, it was basically the end of the work day...which is when the real work began.

[Censored] is in the process of moving some tings, and since [censored] was an extremely generous buddy and came to Denver to help me move, it seemed like I should probably make some mediocre effort to return the favor. Unfortunately, [censored] doesn't have access to skid loaders or telehandlers or other accoutrements of civilized life here, so moving tings like a king-sized bed required basic manpower instead of high-powered equipment. Even more unfortunately, I have child-sized hands and t-rex arms, which makes moving tings difficult - Alyssa, who is my trainer and knows my body better than anyone, actually expressed some humor at the idea of me moving a king sized bed given my size.

However, [censored] and I successfully moved a king sized bed, the two twin box springs that go under it, a large TV, a recliner, and a few other tings down 1.5-2 flights of stairs without dying and without killing each other, so I feel v. accomplished. There is still some stuff to do tomorrow, so I shall amuse myself by writing at a coffee shop (yayyyy) until [censored]'s afternoon off begins, but I'd say tings are in good shape.

After we finished moving, [censored] took me out for dinner at a v. tasty Italian place, where I had a nice glass of wine and some risotto for my efforts. Then, we checked into a hotel, since [censored]'s bed is now in a trailer and there is nowhere else to sleep. And now, I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: