Thursday, December 01, 2022

at the same place where the girl sells her nights to a god of ocean tides

Apparently, going to bed after midnight (my natural rhythm) and getting up at seven to be ready for the contractor (definitely not my natural rhythm) is a combination that is yielding increasingly bad results. I am very tired and my fitbit says this is the least amount of sleep I've gotten in a week since before I quit my job...and yet it's after eleven and I'm still sitting on my couch with my contacts in, pretending that I don't need to go to bed immediately.

sssanyway, things are going well with the remodel - or at least it looks like progress is being made. I think it's quite likely I'll have a fully functional kitchen by Christmas, although I don't know what shape my bathroom will be in for the night(s) when I host a bunch of sleepover family guests. That's a problem for Future Sara (and Future Sara's guests).

Today, I mostly stayed out of the way of the construction - now that the lights are all placed, there aren't a lot of urgent decisions (other than some minor ones that I'll do this weekend). While progress was happening downstairs, I spent the morning upstairs, taking care of some tasks and then continuing to organize my office. I should have, perhaps, done this a couple of months ago - but instead I painted my bedroom and my garage, and painting over a thousand square feet of interior space, even with [censored]'s help, was enough labor to keep me from doing other tings.

As part of the office setup, I went through four or five boxes of stuff that I haven't really gone through in the last several moves - they were all packed when I left San Francisco (which was six years ago in December, which feels impossible), and they were perhaps packed when I moved to Chandlord's studio in 2015. It turned out that I could throw away some tings, and better organize other tings, which was a nice development. My office is still a mess because I couldn't finish today, but the end is in sight.

At some point, I had lunch (a ham sandwich) with [censored], and I also had a chat/meeting with some writers friends. Then I ran out to my parents' house to avail myself of their oven, which I used to bake some cookies for a charity bake sale tomorrow. And then, I had thought about trying to cook using my instant pot, but instead, [censored] and I went out for dinner. We were going to get Mexican or try the other main restaurant in town, but we didn't really want to do either - so we somehow talked ourselves into driving to Chariton and having dinner at the restaurant that is part of their old hotel. I hadn't been there in forever, since before it changed hands - and I thought it was really pretty good. We had excellent cheese curds to start, and my steak was v. tasty. And it was certainly better than trying to wash an instant pot in a bathtub, so I'll take it.

And now, I really need to go to sleep at least thirty minutes earlier than I have been - goodnight!

No comments: