Tuesday, December 20, 2022

i skip stones and wonder how long till i'm discovered?

I'm preparing to hunker down for the next few days - we're headed into a winter storm warning with -40 wind chills, which is putting a serious damper on Christmas. In fact, Christmas appears to be mostly canceled - I was prepping for Aunt B and Uncle B to stay with me, and we were going to make all sorts of food for them + Kathy and Drewbaby (and Drewbaby's girlfriend), but as of right now it looks like travel is going to be too treacherous. After canceling several covid Christmases, this is unfortunate, but hopefully we can get together some other time soon.

Despite that, I still needed to get a whole bunch of stuff in preparation - mostly house stuff (i.e. backsplash tile, undermount lights, etc), and also a couple of final presents + some groceries. So, I took advantage of the relatively balmy weather (14 degrees!) to dash up to Des Moines and run a bunch of errands. I was on a flat-out pace to get to everything and still get home before dark, but I successfully accomplished all of my missions (tile store, Container Store, mall, Lowes, Home Depot, Whole Foods, Hy-Vee, premium gas for my fancy car that I can't get in my town). So, I can still cook the pared-down holiday menu + feed me and [censored] the next couple of days, as long as we don't lose power.

When I got home, I unloaded all the stuff so that it wouldn't freeze immediately, and then I ate some leftover chili and took care of some house tings. Eventually, [censored] showed up, and so we talked for a bit. And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: