Sunday, May 13, 2018

hit me with your best shirt

I had an awesome day, but I need to go to bed immediately even though it's only ten p.m. and my inner night owl is crying at my self-imposed surrender to the working world. I spent too much time this morning lazing about, but I did manage to get up, get around, and scramble to finish pulling my house into some semblance of order after all my travels.

I also spent a few minutes (which wasn't nearly enough time) talking to my parents - it was earlier than I usually call them, so they weren't expecting me, but I had to call and say happy mother's day. But I couldn't talk for long, because at 2:30pm, Katrina showed up - she's in town for a conference later this week, so she's staying with me for a couple of days, which is super fun.

We hung out at my place for a few minutes so that she could get acclimated, and then we took a driving tour of my surroundings. That meant we drove immediately into the mountains - it really is incredible how quickly you can be in the mountains here, which I definitely don't take enough advantage of. We went to Nederland, which I'd been to with Drewbaby last November. The drive was gorgeous in a misty, atmospheric kind of way - it rained off and on all day, so the mountains themselves were shrouded in clouds, but the foliage is much greener than usual, so it was v. pretty.

We had a drink and some chips at a brewery in Nederland, which we entered after waiting out a downpour/small hail situation while parked outside. After that, we took the long way back to Boulder by driving through Golden - we didn't stop there, but we enjoyed the drive. We made it back to Boulder just in time for a reservation I'd made at Santo, which is a newish New Mexican restaurant owned by the same chef who owns Blackbelly (and who won a Top Chef many years ago). I have to say, I was a little disappointed; the service was too slow (we ordered three appetizers and an entree to share, and they decided to course out the appetizers so that we got a small salmon tostada by itself, then waited fifteen minutes for the soup/salad, and then waited another twenty minutes or so for the enchiladas...no bueno). The soup was pretty tasty, and the enchiladas were good, but the rice and beans with them were boring (and they initially forgot the rice). However, the servers were really friendly despite the slowness, and the prices were decent, so I'd be willing to try them again when they work out the kinks.

Then we came home, and we pretty much immediately wanted to go to bed, so that's the plan I'm pursuing. Goodnight - and happy mother's day to those of you who are celebrating!

No comments: