Sunday, February 02, 2020

we're waxing down our surfboards

Today was a bit surreal - I lost my uncle a year ago today, while on this same retreat. That's probably why I spent slightly too much time sitting on the sand and staring at the ocean this morning, and probably why I drank slightly too much wine tonight. Life moves in mysterious, unexpected, inevitable patterns, and this pattern and this loss has particularly sucked.

So, I spent most of the day avoiding my feelings, which is precisely the opposite of what is needed when attempting to write a book. But I got up early and sat on the sand and journaled for a couple of hours, which made my heart feel a bit lighter. And I wrote about four pages this afternoon, and discovered some new things about one of my characters, which I will totally take.

But by five o'clock I was ready to throw in the towel, so I took a quick shower, then took a glass of wine out to our deck to watch the sunset. It was a gorgeous end to a really lovely week - I feel like I got into the story I'm trying to tell really well, and also made some business decisions, and also enjoyed time with my friends and got a much-needed disconnection from my day job. So, all in all, no regrets - if anything, the regret is that I'm not staying for another week.

The evening was also a good way to wrap things up - we ordered in takeout Mexican food, and then sat around until 10:30 or so and talked about a variety of random and fun topics. And then, it was time to say our farewells and pack up - most of us are leaving at the same time in the morning but it doesn't hurt to hug it out now.

And now, I should sleep - goodnight!

No comments: