Saturday, February 15, 2020

sipping on straight chlorine

I survived a truly magical day in the happiest place on earth. It should have been touch and go - I drank enough to deserve to feel all kinds of bad tomorrow. But we'll see whether my fate takes a dark turn overnight.

The morning started with plenty of sleep, followed by coffee from the cafe in the main lodge. I took my time getting ready today, as did we all, but we got to Epcot around 11:30. That kicked off an epic attempt to drink around the world - which in Epcot terms means having a drink in every country featured in the world showcase. There are eleven countries in world showcase, so that's obviously a feat.

I think Lisa and I are the only ones who actually had alcohol everywhere, but most people came pretty close (or had multiple drinks at dinner). This is how the day went:

1) Canada. I had ice wine, which was two ounces and very sweet and a good start to the day

2) England. I had a frozen cider and blackberry slushie. I also discovered really early that my inability to drink beer put me at a distinct disadvantage because I couldn't go low-ABV quite as effectively as some people. Also I wanted to buy everything in all the shops but refrained

3) France. Delicious Bordeaux. Wanted more but had to pick up the pace bc we were dallying too much. But we also did the Beauty and the Beast sing along, which was literally the only thing we did today besides eat and drink

4) Morocco. We stopped for lunch here, so I had a plate of fries and meat, along with a glass of sangria that wasn't worth it

5) Japan. This whole thing was a mistake. I got sushi in the middle of a hot day in Florida, and then got sake in a little wooden box. They wrote my name in Japanese on the box, so that was nice I guess. But I realized the sake might kill me, so I tossed most of it into a bush on the way out

6) AMERICA. Frozen lemonade with bourbon, which was really not that good. But Amy got a turkey leg that was really delicious and possibly the best food of the day, so I guess America's still got it

7) Italy. Rosé. Sparkling. Delightful. Mostly just made me want to go back to Italy for real

8) Germany. Riesling. We were all fading and so we sat around a table here for awhile. Also I really despised the group in front of us, who were drunken messes, unlike us

9) China had a surprise sleeper hit: the Tipsy Ducks in Love, which had coffee, tea, bourbon, chocolate, and cream. It sounded awful and tasted strangely delicious, and it will probably play an outsized role in tomorrow's headache

10) Norway. I needed to pace myself at this point, so I just finished the diet coke that I'd bought in Germany.

11) Mexico. We had an hour to kill, so Subz and I hung out and talked and didn't drink anything. Then we all rendezvoused for our dinner reservation at Hacienda de San Angel. It was really excellent Mexican food, and my chile relleno was great. I nursed a single margarita there, although I was also forced into a shot - the manager came over to greet us bc Terry is important, and he brought us shots for free, but he dropped a couple. He sent a server with replacements and he dropped one too - the glasses had surprisingly not flat bases. But the third time was a charm, unfortunately, so I had to do a tequila shot. Still, Mexico was as great as expected.

12) Norway again. Lisa and I had both skipped Norway and it was clearly weighing on us, so we backtracked and picked up a viking coffee. This was basically Irish coffee (but the Irish have a lot of viking influence so I'll allow it). It was hot and sweet and alcoholic, and another surprise winner

13) Fireworks. We got to watch the fireworks over the lagoon from a special section near England, which was delightful. And then, suddenly, our day was done.

So we got back to the hotel around 9:30-9:45, hung out, and generally drank water and took ibuprofen. It was a super fun day and Epcot was great for a bachelorette - Terry looked super cute in her bride mouse ears, and the group seemed to have an awesome time.

Tomorrow is more chill than today, but it will still require stamina... So I think it's time to go to bed. Goodnight!

No comments: