Friday, May 29, 2020

so many problems, you can take your pick

Man, what a day.

I got up earlier than I have been because my dad's company was taking an online safety training for an upcoming job and I was tech support. [censored] and I have a strict division of tech support labor - [censored] supports wired tech and I support wireless. Since we determined the best way to run this training was to use my laptop to cast to a chromecast/tv, that made it a wireless problem. So I made coffee, set things up, and was generally around in case any problems happened. I probably had a better morning than the guys who had to sit through a safety training, but it was still an unusual way to spend my Friday morning.

I then spent the afternoon relaxing after such an onerous activity - and by that I mean I read Twitter obsessively, got sad/angry, took a nap, and then repeated that cycle. The news coming out of Minneapolis (and Louisville, and Georgia, and the many other places where black people are basically murdered by cops who can claim they were just doing their jobs and/or afraid, with no repercussions regardless of how clearly they're violating people's rights) is awful; we seem to be headed for another summer of 1968, this time in a pandemic, and with a political climate that is going to incite the worst behavior Americans can unleash on each other. So yeah, not feeling totally good right now, tbh.

But I rallied because we had some family photos scheduled for tonight. [censored] and I had arranged them as a Christmas present, so a photographer came out to take our photos. I think it went really well - the photographer was lovely and hilarious, and she caught some great moments, and the weather was totally perfect for an evening in my mom's flowers and my dad's rock formations. The photographer also spilled some hot gossip, which I'm always here for....so, all in all, it was a lovely evening and I'm super glad we did it.

After the photos wrapped up, Jess texted me asking for an impromptu family dinner, which I duly organized. Ritu had told us that a girl we went to college with had died suddenly (unclear why), and Jess had known the girl's mom pretty well through a strange twist of fate related to working in the same company, so it was a bit of a shock. So, Jess/John, Adit/Priyanka, Claudia/Sam, and Claudia's two-month-old joined a family dinner zoom - it was v. late in Iowa, but v. welcome that we can usually make an impromptu family dinner work whenever someone is feeling like a local minima.

So we chatted for ages, and it was v. lovely and left me feeling happy. And now I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: