Sunday, May 03, 2020

in a screaming ring of faces i seen her standing in the light

Feeding myself two meals a day is really quite an accomplishment. Yes, I realize this is how the vast majority of the world lives (or at least the vast majority of the female world) - but I'm accustomed to my employer feeding me breakfast/lunch, and to traveling / eating out quite a bit. In the beforetimes, I might have fed myself a couple of times a week, which mostly turned into peanut butter toast, toast and eggs, avocado toast, tuna on toast....toast, mostly. But now, even if I skip breakfast or eat yogurt/granola for it, the rest of the day requires some planning ahead, a lot of cooking, and an absurd number of dishwasher loads for one person.

Perhaps I'm reconsidering all this cooking because I burned my eyelid tonight. It's really not as bad as it could have been - it hurts a tiny bit, but at least I closed my eye in time and just hit the flesh with a hot spatter of grease instead of getting it in my actual eye. Still, it seemed like insult + injury after putting together a somewhat elaborate meal that required multiple pans.

That meal was a carnitas bowl, which did turn out really well - the carnitas experiment will continue, because I think that the results of slow cooking for eleven hours yesterday weren't really any better than the previous recipe I tried, which only required 90min of pressure cooking. But these are v. tasty, and now I have four servings in the freezer and three in the fridge for other days this week. Shredding the pork took awhile, and then I had to get cranking on the rest of dinner - I made rice, black beans with shallots, and some fresh guacamole, all of which was great. I also seared the carnitas (see: grease explosion into my eye), and it was all delightful.

The rest of my day was good as well - I meditated, journaled, showered, ate some leftover potato/chard mix with poached eggs (which I poached), talked to my parents, picked up a curbside delivery order, tidied up my house, did some major reorganizing in my garage, etc. And now, I'm falling asleep while I'm typing, which is always a good sign that it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: