Thursday, June 11, 2020

another shot of whiskey, can't stop looking at the door

Today was great, although I got sucked into doing yet another presentation - it was another variant of the one I did yesterday, but someone else on the team was supposed to do it to spread the load. But he chickened out at the last minute and said I was better prepped than him, so asked me to do it instead. In his defense, he was on kid duty today and so it was probably better for me to do it since his kids kept interrupting him - but still, I was pretty sure this audience was going to be particularly tough and I had been looking forward to him getting murdered instead of me.

However, I survived and emerged mostly unscathed, so I guess it went well. I also had a bunch of other meetings, but I meditated and journaled outside this morning (lovely!), then ate lunch outside, and I also took a walk around the block while my dinner was cooking, and then I read outside. It was a pretty idyllic day outside, obviously, and my patio stays nice almost all the time anyway because it's pretty perfectly shaded most of the day.

My last meeting was with the guy who threw the presentation to me at the last minute, and we decided to have that meeting while also having an adult beverage, so my day ended with a cold moscow mule and hot gossip. Then I baked some lemon chicken, and I also took out all my trash/recycling/compost and did two loads of laundry and ran the dishwasher. I ended the evening by reading a few chapters of THE CHIFFON TRENCHES by André Leon Talley - Talley is in his seventies, and was an incredibly influential fashion columnist and tastemaker for decades. I weirdly like fashion and know a lot about designers despite the fact that I'm currently wearing ratty old gym shorts and a shirt with a hole in it, so I'm v. much enjoying the gossip he's spilling about Karl Lagerfeld, Yves Saint Laurent, and a ton of other fashion types. But because he was a columnist for so long, he's also an excellent writer - and interspersed with the fashion anecdotes (people did a lot of drugs in the seventies) are some really traumatic personal anecdotes, which makes for a really interesting and surprising read.

And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: