Sunday, June 21, 2020

super duper

I had a great day, thanks for asking. I woke up and spent the morning with coffee and my journal and a bit of writing before speeding through my shower routine so that I could drive down to Colorado Springs to see Barbara. We had a lovely socially-distanced afternoon in her backyard - it was three years ago right about now that I hung out with her in Colorado Springs for a few days, so it was good to go back at the same time and see what's the same (friendship) and what's different (her dogs, who are now three instead of being new puppies, and so were v. excited to greet me but otherwise v. chill). She made an awesome salad that I'm going to have to recreate, and we had a long and lovely afternoon of discussing writing, friendship, family, the world, gardens, travel (or lack thereof), etc. It was good for my heart to see another writer, so hopefully we can make it happen again soon.

Then I drove home, where I threw together an impromptu dinner - I made part of a 'tabbouleh' recipe, which is in quotes because I a) used quinoa instead of bulgar, and b) didn't have cucumbers or tomatoes on hand, which are usually key ingredients. But I made the quinoa and mixed it with mint, parsley, scallions, feta, lemon juice, and olive oil, and then ate it with some leftover lemon-marinated chicken, and it was pretty delicious. I may buy some tomatoes and cucumbers at the farmer's market tomorrow and add them in belatedly, but this may have to be a standard recipe this summer.

After supper, I tidied up the kitchen, and then I spent the last couple of hours rereading some old journals. I made it from June 2016 (when I went to Provincetown, saw Ritu/Bill in Boston, and went to a Beyonce concert in NYC with Terry) to April 2017 (when I released a book and left London). I filled three whole notebooks for those ten months, so the reading has been slow going - but it's been an enjoyable trip down memory lane to find memories and realizations that I've learned / forgotten / relearned over time.

And now, while I wish I could stay up all night, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: