Friday, June 19, 2020

tell all my friends i'm asleep if they ask ya

I had an okay day - it wasn't amazing because it was rainy/cloudy most of the day, and so I had to cancel the socially distanced happy hour I'd planned for tonight because my patio furniture was too wet. But work was fine and pretty lowkey, and I took a break at eleven to mix up a dry rub to put on a pork shoulder. That, of course, was destined to become pulled pork later - and I have to say it turned out amazingly well. The rub was from Bruce Aidell's cookbook, although I was lacking the dried mustard - but I had all the other spices, so I decided to go for it. The pork sat in the fridge for six hours, and then I cut it into four chunks, seared them in the Instant Pot, deglazed with a bit of chicken broth, and then pressure cooked the pork for an hour (plus another twenty minutes of slow release).

That yielded some truly perfect pulled pork, which was rendered even better with some barbecue sauce that I'd bought at the farmer's market last weekend. I ate it with some leftover zucchini fritters, which was a weird mix - I should have made potatoes or cole slaw or something, but I was feeling lazy. And really, making pulled pork this way was about as easy as it could possibly be. So, I'm a fan.

Then I cleaned up my kitchen, took out my trash, took a walk around the block, etc. I also checked in on my Animal Crossing island (verdict: it's still there). Then I got sucked into a bit of twitter nonsense, but now I'm going to try to get off screens and unwind. Goodnight!

No comments: