Sunday, June 28, 2020

and now my body fades behind a brass charade

I had a lovely day...so lovely that I'm exhausted and almost forgot to blog because I need to go to bed immediately. I got up relatively early for a weekend (but normal hours for a weekday) and spent the morning taking care of tings to prepare for going to ye olde Iowa later this week. I also walked down to the farmer's market, where I got a steak for tonight and some barbecue sauce for later.

The main excitement of the morning/afternoon, though, was dealing with wildlife - specifically, the adult and fledgling robins who had somehow trapped themselves in my basement egress window well. The adult could fly and was rather desperately trying to get out of the grate; the fledgling couldn't fly and was just sitting around waiting to be rescued. Because the adult was flying around, I couldn't open the window downstairs, which meant I couldn't unlock the grate (it locks from the inside to prevent breakins, obvi). So, off and on throughout the morning, I created some increasingly-elaborate perches and ramps in an attempt to get the adult to leave. Finally, a combination of a hanger and a paint stirring stick duct taped to the grate made it happen, and I was able to cover the grate with some cardboard to prevent the adult from coming back.

Right as that excitement happened, Katie came over - and so we spent some quality time in my backyard, drinking iced tea and discussing a wide variety of topics. Our ships are crossing in the night (and by 'night' I mean 'Nebraska') this summer, since she recently got back from Iowa and I'm about to go again - so it was nice to have some quality time with her just the two of us. Before she left, she gave me some moral support in getting the fledgling out of the window well - I ended up putting on gloves, throwing a tea towel over it, and carrying it outside. Hopefully the bird survives, but if it doesn't, at least it isn't doomed to die in my basement.

After that v. exciting task, Katie left and I called my parents - they were in fine form, and I'll see them in a few days. Then I made supper - I tried a new recipe for beef and broccoli, and it was really awesome. I'd ordered a new Chinese cookbook ("Double Awesome", which is from a Chinese restaurant in Boston), and this was the first recipe I tried from it - so far so good, since this was a winner. Unlike soupy/overcooked beef and broccoli, this one was great because you roast the broccoli separately, and you also marinate a flank steak and cook it rare/medium rare, only combining the ingredients with a sauce when the steak and broccoli are perfectly cooked on their own. It was seriously delicious, and now I just want more.

After eating, I talked to Veronica for awhile - we were v. overdue for a catch-up, and it was great to see her face. Then, after a v. reinvigorating conversation, I cleaned the kitchen, folded laundry, and took care of some tings around the house. And now, I really need to sleep if I'm going to be productive tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: