Saturday, June 13, 2020

with my bloodshot eyes and my shaky hands

So, after I proclaimed that I was going to go to bed last night, I stayed up reading until two. Oops. So, this morning was not a particularly productive one - I stayed in bed until 9:30 (although the dozing was fitful). Then I ordered a coffee for the first time since quarantine (well, second time, if you count a McDonald's coffee in Iowa) - I was close to out of coffee beans and wanted to try someplace local rather than ordering from Philz, and someone at work had recommended Huckleberry Roasters. So I placed an order online for beans + an iced coffee, and they were waiting for me when I pulled up. I would have much rather hung out on their patio with my coffee and my journal, but if you're going to quarantine, this is a good way to do it.

Then I came home and hung out on my own patio with my journal and my meditation app instead. I also made lunch (sweet potato hash from the freezer + a couple of eggs) and took a look at the plants I bought yesterday, but I didn't plant them. Instead, I had to shower and get ready - I was invited to a socially distanced birthday party for Kelly, and even though I was feeling v. lethargic I decided to rally and go.

The party was fun overall, but I'm glad I went early and left relatively early - it was sprinkling off and on, which meant we were more inside than outside, which made me vaguely uneasy. There was no reason to think that anyone or thing was particularly risky, since no one there is going into an office or other high-density setting, and there were approx ten people total - but I didn't know everyone well, and when another couple showed up who I didn't know at all, I decided I was done.

Still, it was really nice to get out of the house, and I mostly talked to Kelly and her husband + Kristen and her boyfriend. I hadn't seen Kristen since sometime in April and she left my company recently, so it was great to catch up with her. It's a shame that this is all keeping people apart, especially since this was supposed to be the summer where I actually tried to make friends and explore more of what Denver has to offer...but as always, it could be worse.

Then I came home, spent too much time reading twitter, and ordered sushi for dinner. I'm close to out of groceries, but the farmer's market on my street is opening tomorrow, so I thought I'd save my shopping for that. Still, I was super tired...so tired that I put on my nightgown, dragged a bunch of cookbooks and notebooks upstairs, and crawled into bed before eight to read / scribble / daydream. That made for an unusual Saturday night, but I'll take it.

And now it's time to sleep in bed instead of read in it - goodnight!

No comments: