Sunday, June 14, 2020

south side

I had a v. nice day today, if you ignore the apocalyptic vibe that 2020 has provided for most of the year. I let myself sleep in a little bit longer than intended, and then I made coffee, meditated, and bought some turnips (not real turnips, Animal Crossing turnips). Then I went to a farmer's market (real market, not Animal Crossing market). In the summer, there is a Sunday farmer's market a few blocks from my house, and they've opened up with some restrictions in place due to coronavirus. There are fewer vendors, and everyone is wearing masks - but there were quite a few people there at ten, although people didn't seem to be lingering and the stalls couldn't hand out free samples like they did last year.

I threw more money at sauces than was strictly necessary, but the sauce purveyors looked like they could use the business. I'd planned to get barbecue sauce (which I procured and am looking forward to testing), but I also picked up a couple of mediterranean-type sauces (a romesco and something green), and a couple of Guatemalan hot sauces / salsas. I also bought a bag of gluten free pasta that looked interesting, a package of brats because the seller was really entertaining, and a vacuum-sealed pack of corn tortillas that looked way better than what I can get at the grocery store. And I bought some produce, which is what I was really there for. So, all in all it was a v. productive twenty minutes, and now I have a bunch of tasty new stuff to try - which is great, because I'm tired of cooking my usual stuff.

Then I came home, put away my haul, and reheated some chicken to eat with the last of my eggplant tricolore. While I was eating, I talked to Barbara - we were supposed to talk at one, but neither of us were being productive, so we moved it up. It was great to chat with another writer after a v. long hiatus (I've somehow let friend zooms die since I went to Iowa, which is odd) and I think we may try to see each other in a backyard next weekend if things still feel safe then.

Then I spent the afternoon messing around my house and planting the petunias and calibrachoa that I bought on Friday. I should have planted the ground cover that I bought as well, but by the time I was ready to do it, it was 90+ degrees and the spot they go in was in full sun, so I decided to spare my shoulders and my hydration levels. Instead, I cleaned off my patio, called my parents, and then called [censored]. I hung up on him somewhat abruptly when he got to his house, since I realized it was after six and I was nowhere close to having supper ready - so I threw together a frittata. I think I got my egg to milk ratio off, mostly because I cracked seven eggs in a row that were double-yolked - whether that means great luck or terrible luck, I don't know, but it was certainly a weird development.

At some point in there, I talked to Katie, then cleaned up my kitchen, and then spent the last ninety minutes taking care of personal office-type tasks. And now I desperately need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: