Tuesday, May 17, 2022

and if you close your eyes does it almost feel like you've been here before?

Katie and I went to Pompeii today, and it was a delight (if you like the end of the world). We got up early enough that I was able to journal before breakfast, and then we took a cab to Pompeii. Our tour was mostly a success - I could have spent hours there, but the two we had with the tour guide were great. It's quite fascinating to see a city half-intact from that long ago, and also fascinating to see a city that was completely destroyed, so that was all good.

After Pompeii, we went to a wine tasting / lunch, which was also great. We hung out with some fun retired British sisters + some twenty year olds, and we had some wine, and it was great. Then we took a train to Sorrento and a taxi back to Amalfi, which wasn't faster but gave an incredible view of the coast. When we got back, Katie went to the sea, and I had an aperol spritz while journaling and looking at the cathedral - it was the worst drink of the trip so far, but they get away with it because of the view.

Katie and I met up for dinner, where we had a great last night in Amalfi. Then we stopped in at last night's place for a last limoncello, which turned into four limoncellos, three of which were paid for by some British retirees whom we befriended. I offered to repay the favor with fernet in San Francisco next year, but they didn't give me their info, so for some inexplicable reason that offer wasn't worth it to them.

And now, I should sleep - we're leaving for Rome tomorrow and I don't want to die before then. Goodnight!

No comments: