Sunday, May 15, 2022

you know it's not the same as it was

Amalfi is a quaint village of five thousand people who mostly speak English and sell ceramics to tourists. But in the middle ages, they were the proud Republic of Amalfi, running a maritime empire that rivaled Venice. Unfortunately, they were wiped out by a tsunami and became a backwater, which is basically what happened to my hometown in Iowa when the railroad left (I am perhaps exaggerating my hometown's performance).

sssanyway. Amalfi is great and Katie and I had an awesome day. We slept for nine hours, which is unprecedented, and I didn't feel like I had jetlag at all today. Then we had breakfast at the hotel, which overlooked the water, and it was perfect. We walked around Amalfi for a couple of hours and had lunch at a cute place by the cathedral, and then we caught a ferry to Positano.

Positano also used to be a big deal before being destroyed, but in this case it was a Roman villa destroyed when Pompeii was destroyed. Now it's a similarly quaint town with people selling ceramics to tourists. Katie and I mostly forsook the ceramics (except for some tings I'm going to make [censored] hang for me), but we window shopped a lot, and we had a snack/aperol spritz in a lovely courtyard. Then we timed our arrival at Le Sirenuse exactly right and got a set of chairs overlooking the water/cliffs of Positano, and it was perhaps the most picturesque place I've ever had rosé at.

Eventually, a shuttle picked us up and took us to dinner up in the hills above Positano - we went to Il Ritrovo, which was totally fantastic. And now, I'm ready to call it a night - goodnight!


Truffle ravioli and pasta with sausage at Il Ritrovo


Positano from Le Sirenuse


besties


Positano from the water


The cathedral in Amalfi


No comments: