Monday, May 30, 2022

my heart keeps beating like a hammer

I had a nice Sunday in ye olde Iowa. When I woke up, I made myself some iced coffee and then wrote for awhile, which was an excellent way to start the day - it was only thirty or so minutes of actual writing, but it was fun, so I'll take it. Then I talked to [censored] for awhile, took a shower, and talked to [censored] some more. We should have gone to our parents' house about an hour earlier than we did, but we got sidetracked discussing what could be done in the garage to better organize it. Home improvement is one of our favorite Sunday topics because it ticks all the boxes: daydreaming/grandiose visions, planning without accomplishing anything, examining multiple possible solutions, and ultimately falling into despair / Sunday Scaries at everything that needs to get done. The garage is not the biggest priority ever, but we need to put some thought into it since it's basically the main entrance to the house (everyone comes in through the back door through the garage, since the front door is basically a figurehead and is inaccessible in most circumstances).

sssanyway, we eventually went to my parents' house (after a stop at [censored], where we examined ancient relics and were interrupted by a kind neighbor who no doubt wanted to see the ancient relics too). Aunt Kathy came down for the day, so we hung out and told stories. Mom made baked beans and potato salad, and Dad grilled some brats, and it was all quite lovely. At some point, I absconded with Aunt Kathy and brought her into town to see the latest improvements to my place - she came down in February to help me paint some closets, but she hadn't seen the new carpet or the other tings that have been painted since then, or my new and much improved couch.

So all in all, it was a nice and relaxing afternoon, and it was nice to see Aunt Kathy (especially since she's the only person in the family who wisely decided not to spend 30+ hours driving to and from Texas later this week - other than Drewbaby, who isn't driving but still has a not-pleasant schedule of flying / driving). After she left, I watched some TV with my dad (a reality show called Auction Kings, which is better than many other tings he could have been watching, so I'll take it) and then came back to my house. I spent the evening getting my pantry fully reorganized + taking care of various tasks, and I feel good about what I got done.

And now, I need to go to sleep before it gets any later - goodnight!

No comments: