Wednesday, January 25, 2023

good times never seemed so good

I am still not getting enough sleep, which is common on trips, but I'm delighted with my days. I got up this morning, put in a pair of contacts, put on a pair of pants, and walked down the block to Starbucks to grab a cold brew. Then, I sat in bed and wrote for a couple of hours. I unfortunately let myself get distracted by some research that turned into procrastination, but things are starting to gel and I'm excited to see where they go.

After that morning session, I took a shower and adjourned to the gazebo by the beach, where Barbara was writing. I ordered a poke bowl and hung out down there for a couple of hours - Anne joined us and we spent some quality time plotting Barbara's next book, which is always fun (way more fun when you don't have to slog through writing it). Veronica also joined us, and it's clear we're here from different climates since she was wearing cashmere leggings and a sweater and gloves, and I was sitting in the sun in my tank top. But it will be approx zero degrees when I get back to Iowa, so I'm soaking this up.

Eventually, I decided to take a break from writing, which turned into a somewhat ill-advised nap. Then, we ordered dinner and some of us walked to pick it up, since it was around the block. And then I spent the night hanging out - mostly chatting with Barbara, although I did some v. late brainstorming with Anne after most people went to bed. We also all survived a rather ridiculous interlude where it seemed someone might have been trying to get in from the garage, and people had varying responses to this (my contribution was to tell the blonde not to get killed by going into the garage by herself to prove to us that nothing was happening).

And now, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: