Monday, January 02, 2023

this song's about the beach

Today went almost comically awry on the construction front - things have been proceeding nearly perfectly, but things cannot always be perfect, and today was the day that proved it.

Part of it was my fault (a miscommunication + a possible mistake on the part of the person who sold me tile, which led to me requesting Randy to remove the last bit of backsplash so we can re-trim it), and I did not enjoy having to request a redo even though Randy was, as always, v. nice about it.

Then there was a possibly misglued bit of laminate that may or may not have led to a chip on the edge of the island countertop. It's repairable, and [censored] v. helpfully went above and beyond by going to the store and chatted up the guy in charge, whom he knows, to organize the fix. But this did not make anyone's day any happier.

And then, there was a very slight cutting mistake...again, repairable, but by this point I think we all thought the day was cursed (since all of these issues were highly uncharacteristic, and taken together were almost statistically impossible), so hopefully tomorrow is better.

And finally, completely unrelatedly, Claudia messaged me to say that Hong Kong Flower Lounge closed at the end of 2022, which is a real bummer. This was the home of the infamous "Shrimp or Feet?" game that we played in our early twenties, and I have many fond memories of many hours spent eating dim sum there, before Claude and I discovered our mutual gluten sensitivities (which explained why we always fell into headachy comas after dim sum). So, that was an extra dose of sadness to round out the day.

sssanyway, these are the joys of home ownership and remodeling, so all in all it's totally fine. But I was quite distracted by all of this, which impacted the rest of my productivity. I did get an hour and a half to do some writing stuff this morning (in between the tile conversation and the first counter issue), so I'll take that as a minor win and move on.

The rest of my day was pretty uninteresting, and I spent way too much time on my phone while lingering around the construction (+ decompressing from it after), so I need to unwind and go to bed. Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully tings are smoother then. Goodnight!

No comments: