Sunday, January 01, 2023

i ain't no fortunate son

Welcome to 2023! I rang in the new year mostly like any other weekend day (which means I made scrambled eggs and hash browns for me and [censored]). However, I did write for an hour this morning, which felt great after some extended time off during the holidays. I also took a walk around town this afternoon since it was a balmy forty degrees. And I read a book tonight...so in terms of filling the first day of the new year with things I want to do the rest of the year, I think I got off to a good start.

Beyond all that, I mostly did house stuff. I also made a new-to-me recipe for dinner with great success. Ina Garten's cookbooks never fail me - I got the new one for Christmas, and I made her salmon teriyaki tonight, and it was excellent. It's a super simple sauce (soy sauce, olive oil, maple syrup, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, red pepper flakes), boiled/reduced just a bit, and then poured over salmon to bake for <15min. I also roasted broccoli to go with it, which turned out perfectly. And, I experimented with my new rice cooker, which is a gift to myself - I had never thought I needed one before, but I used to live places where I could get Asian food whenever I felt like it, and I find myself wanting perfect rice more than ever. So far, I'd say it was a worthwhile investment - the rice really was perfect, and made it easy to time with the other meal components.

So, supper was excellent - even [censored] thought so, and turning [censored] into a roasted broccoli convert is a crowning achievement. After that, I cleaned up the kitchen, and then read a research book about elves and witches (so far, I don't know where the elves come in, but we'll see). And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: