Monday, June 03, 2019

we go together like sound and sight, black and white, day and night

I had a pretty awful day, to be honest. There was no good reason for it - I woke up in a bad mood, I stayed in a bad mood, and I wasn't really able to rouse myself out of it until tonight. It was one of those days where everything rubbed me slightly the wrong way - like I'd woken up to someone running sandpaper over my skin, and every further touch just added pain.

Yes, this is dramatic - but my mood was dramatically bad. I wasted the morning, went into work, thought I would get some work done, and instead discovered that my computer needed to do a force install of some software, which wasted an hour. Most of that happened during a couple of meetings, but it seemed like every conference room in Boulder was broken in some way, which meant every meeting went awry.

By 2:30 I realized I just couldn't be on good behavior at the office - I was too close to snapping at people, and no good was going to be served by staying. So I came home, messed around a bit, and did my last couple of meetings from home.

I did eventually rouse myself - I reheated some v. delicious curry for dinner, and then I forced myself to take a walk. It wasn't what I wanted to do - I wanted to drink wine and play civilization - but the walk did way more for my mood than Civ would have. When I got home, I did an hour or two of work to make up for my angry sloth earlier, and then I did an hour of personal stuff. This involved buying a washing machine and dryer, which helped to reinforce that I am now a very serious adult. I also finished buying my tickets for Sydney/Auckland at the end of August, which helped soothe my fear over being a very serious adult.

And now I need to sleep - part of the problem this morning was that I stayed up too late last night, so I'm trying to avoid that mistake. Goodnight!

No comments: