Sunday, June 30, 2019

you hear us come and go, we know

I made it safely to ye olde Iowa this afternoon after an entirely uneventful drive. When I woke up in Kearney this morning, I wasn't very eager to get out of bed - but I vacated fairly quickly, took a longer-than-desired detour into downtown Kearney to get Starbucks, and then got on the road. Of course, I discovered one of the perils of driving (did I tell you I bought an Audi?) across the midwest - the first gas station I stopped at didn't have premium fuel. The next one did, and so I continued on without issues, but it's something I'll have to be mindful of when looking for gas stations on the way back.

Crossing into Iowa showed how much flooding is still happening around the Missouri and Platte Rivers - the Platte was the highest I've ever seen it, and one of the main highways from Nebraska to Iowa (Hwy 2) was closed at the border due to flooding. 34 was open, but down to one lane in each direction, with power lines running through fields of water in ways that almost looked planned (but most definitely weren't). But I made it home without incident. Along the way, I listened to part of the audiobook of '99 Glimpses of Princess Margaret', which I've been wanting to read for awhile - she sounds both tragic and awful, and there's something fascinating about her even though she never should have really mattered much at all. But that, of course, is kind of the point - she grew up as a spare, would always be a spare, and yet still had to live up to the demands of the modern world as it came into direct conflict with the last gasps of old prewar protocol and class. So, the book is v. interesting, and it was good enough to keep me awake, which was a good thing.

When I got home, my dad poured me an iced tea and we hung out in the kitchen for the rest of the afternoon. My mom arrived a few minutes later, and so we had a v. casual, lovely evening - we chatted, then ate supper ('basketbobs', which are kebob ingredients thrown into grill baskets rather than requiring tedious threading), then watched some TV. Tonight's fine CBS programming included 'Instinct' and 'The Good Fight' (the 'Good Wife' spinoff), both of which were excellent.

And now it's time to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: