Saturday, September 07, 2019

sorry, i can't do anything at all

I have a full-blown cold, which is quite unfortunate - I have a sudden, unexpected free weekend with no plans and no obligations, and I don't feel like doing anything at all. Which, I suppose, is good for a free weekend with no obligations. But I felt so crappy today that I proactively canceled the massage that I had booked for Sunday, since I don't enjoy getting massages when snot is running all over my face. I also pounded a bunch of emergen-c and had chicken pho for lunch (which is as close to chicken noodle soup as my gluten-free stomach can get), but so far the traditional cures have done nothing.

Unfortunately, I had some work I had to get done today - but I did it all from the comfort of my house, while wearing yoga pants, so I guess it could have been worse. I also got a big delivery - three new barstools + two metal tables for my patio. One of the metal tables arrived dented (perhaps not a surprise, since I watched through the window at the Fedex guy threw the box from the truck onto the lawn - my Nest alerted me that he was outside, but he probably didn't realize I was watching)...but it was also very cheap from Overstock, and is likely to get hailed on at some point (there was 4" of hail west of Denver that closed I-70 this afternoon!), and the dent is on one side, so I may just turn the dent toward the sofa and ignore it rather than going through the hassle of returning it.

The rest of it, though, appears to have arrived unscathed. I put together one of the barstools, which was a bit of an ordeal - it's pretty heavy since it's adjustable and swivels (a requirement for my v. tall bar), but it ended up looking and feeling really nice. It's a good match for my living room furniture, which is nearby; it's a less good match for my counter, but I dislike my counter, so it's the most likely thing to get replaced in the next year. I'll have to put together the other two stools tomorrow, but I could tell the first one had tapped more energy than I wanted.

So I made dinner - a tasty spaghetti all'amatriciana, which is a fancy way of saying that I cooked a bunch of bacon, red onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes, added some tomato sauce, and threw some spaghetti into it. I ate it at the bar with my new barstool, which I enjoyed. Then, I was really in need of some mindlessness, so I indulged in some Civilization...it was all going well, but I had inadvertently started next to the Assyrians, who are total assholes with no chill whatsoever, and so the game is devolving into endless attacks on my border with them, which is getting old. So, I may not finish that game, which may be for the best.

But now I need to sleep - ideally I get over my cold, since I would like to do some yard work and also do some furniture shopping, and also maybe write a book. Goodnight!

No comments: