Monday, September 09, 2019

discover some new truth that was always wrapped around you

Today was day five of my cold, and I am mentally OVER IT, but physically not at all over it. However, I discovered this morning, after a partially sleepless night, that I have been taking the wrong Sudafed - for some reason I had a box of the stuff that any peasant can buy, rather than the good stuff that they keep behind the counter to avoid fueling the meth-heads' production lines. I hadn't really paid attention to the box, so I spent the last two days suffering more than I probably needed to. I found one tablet of the good stuff this morning - it had expired a year ago, but I took it anyway and it promptly started to clear my congestion. I'm by no means better, but at least my nose only requires blowing every 15-20mins instead of every 5-10.

So, I stayed home again today. I still did some work, because I felt like I had to - I may just never catch up, and maybe that's okay. But I took a nap when I should have eaten lunch, and that seemed to help. I'm probably going to go in tomorrow, though, unless I feel worse - I have barely left the house in five days and I'm starting to go a bit stir crazy.

So, I worked, napped, worked some more, ate the dregs of what was in my fridge (a frozen enchilada for lunch and peanut butter toast for supper), and then made a quick trip to Crate and Barrel to finalize a chair decision. I felt like death and really shouldn't have gone, but their upholstery sale ended tonight and saving 20% seemed worth it. We'll see if I feel differently if the trip kills me. I also picked up some takeout sushi from the Whole Foods next door, which may be the other thing that kills me. I'm just flirting with death constantly here, with all the crazy risks I take.

And now I need to go to bed - I'm not saying I feel like the Ingallses did when they were dying of malaria and Laura had to crawl across the cabin to retrieve water, but I'm not *not* saying I feel like that. However, my water has Emergen-c in it instead of more malaria, so I'll probably survive. Goodnight!

No comments: