Friday, August 12, 2022

a family of trees wanting to be haunted

I had a fairly momentous day when it comes to big life changes, and it ended with an excellent experience hosting my first official guest in my newly completed guest room (not first guests overall, since Kathy/Drewbaby/Sammie stayed here at Christmas - but they didn't have the benefit of the full guest room setup and Aunt Kathy slept on my previous terrible sectional, so I want a do-over).

I spent the morning continuing to unpack, and at some point an HVAC guy showed up to fix my AC unit. The fix he implemented certainly improved the issue we were having with the AC causing major power dips whenever it cycled, so that's good news. Fixing the fact that my bedroom is consistently eight degrees hotter or colder than the rest of the house will require a bigger solution (minisplit, gas fireplace, new ductwork, or a new house), but this is a good enough solution for now.

Then, I got ready, went into town (the other town), and got my Iowa driver's license. This was a fairly painless process, and of course I knew (or at least knew of) the woman who handled my application, so we made small talk about why I moved back, the town celebration this weekend, etc. While I was in town, I also got my library card - I thought they would need to see a proof of address and I already had it for my license, but when I asked that, they just asked 'do you live here' and I said 'yes' and they said 'that's all we need'. So that was easy enough. The library has been v. remodeled since my heyday, but my beloved old Nancy Drew books are still there, so so far so good.

Then I got groceries, came home, and spent some more time tidying my house. At some point in there, my house in Colorado officially sold - I did the closing remotely, but the new buyers closed this afternoon. So, it's officially a done deal, and I'm v. excited that it finished without any issues. I'll miss many tings about Denver, but I'm glad to be done with this chapter and ready to do something else.

Eventually, I made some chocolate chip chewies just in time for Katie to arrive for the night. She was escaping some family stuff in Des Moines and came down for the night, so I made spaghetti all'amatriciana for her and [censored] while we gave her a tour of my ridiculous house. My parents also stopped by to see her, so we all ate chewies and discussed various people we know (and I had aperol spritzes to celebrate my house closing, which felt like the right move).

After my parents left, Katie, [censored] and I ill-advisedly stayed up until after midnight, but it was #worthit. And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: