Monday, August 15, 2022

transparent soul

It was a dreary day in ye olde Iowa today, which was much needed because we've been desperate for rain. I spent the morning planning out my week, but this planning was interrupted by a knock on the door - Lorena stopped by to say hi, and she stayed for over an hour. Lorena is a fixture in our area and I've known her since forever - she's my neighbor in town (separated only by the convenience store + a road), and is also my parents' neighbor out in the country, since her farm is across the road from theirs. [Censored] was working from home today, so also got to hang out with her, and it was a really nice visit. Unexpected visitors are not common in my former city life, but this one was quite enjoyable!

After Lorena left, I did a bit of stuff and ate a late lunch. At some point, [censored] left, and I talked to Alyssa, who was in fine form. Then, I tried a new recipe for my instant pot, which was a bit of a disaster - it was a chicken burrito bowl recipe with chicken, rice, black beans, taco seasoning, salsa, and green chiles. It all smelled great, but even though the recipe had 4.7 stars on 400+ reviews, I later discovered that many of the reviews gave five stars even though the instant pot failed to come to pressure and kept giving them burn warnings. This happened to me repeatedly, which meant that it tried to come up to pressure for over an hour, and I added another two cups of chicken stock to try to stop the burn notice. Eventually, I just ate it as is because it was clear that it had cooked enough in the attempts to pressurize. The flavor was still pretty good, although the rice was quite mushy - and I want to try it again, but I'm not convinced the recipe is salvageable.

But while that fail was going on, I also poached some chicken and baked some bacon for cobb salads, so I have food for tomorrow (and the burrito bowl was edible, so I'll probably have more of that as well). And after it was finally done, I did some dishes, procrastinated a bit, and then read about the Scythians.

And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: