Wednesday, August 03, 2022

we're cool for the summer

I have successfully arrived in ye olde Iowa, after a long drive on several days of too-little sleep. Today was the same boring haze that Nebraska always is - I stopped for gas and Starbucks in Kearney, and for a snack in Lincoln, and for McDonald's in Clarinda, and it was all extremely boring. I regret that I know this route so well, but it makes it easy to go on autopilot. The only exciting thing was getting stuck behind a trailer with a blade of a giant windmill somewhere in Iowa, which I evaded by cutting across a road I'd never gone down and then cutting back to the main highway. This was really not exciting, but I had to share something with you to keep you coming back for this riveting content.

sssanyway, I got home around five, unloaded all my heat-sensitive stuff, took a twenty minute nap, and went to my parents' house for dinner (which I didn't eat all of, but I saved my cheeseburger for breakfast tomorrow). Then I ran to the grocery store, came home, and talked to the guy who drove my moving truck here - he is parked outside my house and is sleeping in his truck tonight so that they can deliver in the morning. It really is a bit bizarre that this is a viable option, but he seemed much happier than he was yesterday (probably because he got here with no issues, parking is easy alongside my house, and he could get beer and food from the convenience store next door). So, I'm relieved to know that all my stuff is less than 50 feet from me, and I'm looking forward to seeing (most of) it tomorrow.

I spent the rest of the evening putting away the tings I brought in my car, and also figuring out where I'm putting various pieces of furniture tomorrow. And now I must go to bed so that I can get some quality sleep before the unloading begins tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: