Sunday, August 21, 2022

got a hole in my heart, gonna fill it with chemicals

I had to get up early this morning for the express purpose of putting a whole pork butt in the oven. This is not my usual summertime cooking endeavor, since I usually don't roast things for ten+ hours in August, but I had the pork in my freezer and wanted to use it, and I could also use the leftovers to avoid having to cook later this week. So, I got up at 7:15 (okay, maybe that's not early, but it's early for me) and pulled it from the fridge / turned the oven on, and then slept another twenty minutes until it was time to put it in.

So, while the oven was going, I was pretty much stuck to the house. I did take an illicit trip with [censored] to the parents' house to get something out of a shed for them, but it felt fairly low risk since the oven was at 250 and the pork was still under eighty degrees internally. I also took a break from my painting prep today, and instead reorganized my pantry - it was starting to drive me a little nuts because I had just tossed stuff in there while unpacking and had turned it into a disordered mess. Also, I have duplicates of a lot of spices and oils and flavorings, so I had to sort through all of that so that I can take my surplus hoard to the basement. This was a worthwhile endeavor since now my kitchen is better suited for cooking, but I probably could have used my time for other tings.

Eventually, I pulled the pork from the oven, let it rest, and then shredded it. Because it took over ten hours (and then still wasn't quite at the temp I wanted, but was safe to eat and couldn't delay dinner further), I didn't have time to shred the whole thing - I just shredded what we needed for supper and took it to the parents' house. My mom had made scalloped potatoes and baked beans to go with the pork, and it was all quite tasty. And the pork was clearly the easiest of the three, although shredding seven pounds of pork is no small task.

After I got back to my place, I did some kitchen cleaning and then messed around online until now. And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: