Saturday, August 29, 2020

born in a diamond mine, it's all around you but you can't see it

I have returned to ye olde Iowa for a week of family and working from home. Today was as painless as a drive across Nebraska can be (aka not painless). But I got adequate sleep, which means I was in bed until almost nine, and since I dallied and ate some yogurt and granola (from my stash of road snacks, with a bowl and spoon I'd brought with me) and made a couple of iced coffees, etc., it was eleven-ish when I finally left. That's way too long to spend in a roadside hotel in Kearney, but it was a relaxing morning, which is what I needed.

The drive was extremely uneventful and boring in the extreme. But I listened to a bunch of music, and I also listened to two episodes of Dax Shepherd's podcast -  one was John Legend, and the other was Leslie Odom Jr (aka Aaron Burr (Sir) from Hamilton). The second one was particularly good - he talked a little about negotiating the payment for the movie version of Hamilton that is on Disney+. I remember at the time that it was filmed that there were some articles implying that he was a bit of a diva, but hearing his side of the story reminded me of a couple of times I've gotten totally screwed at work and how I am still pretty confident that I'm getting paid less than some of my fairly incompetent male coworkers, and I had a lot more sympathy for the fact that he just asked to get paid the same amount as someone else who had filmed a similar musical for later livestreaming.

sssanyway. I rolled into home around 4:45pm, and I spent the rest of the evening hanging out with my parents and relaxing. My dad smoked some delicious beef for supper, and my mom made potatoes and carrots, and there were fresh tomatoes from the garden; it was all delicious. And I'm v. much looking forward to some porch time tomorrow, but I should probably go to bed so that I can get up and make the most of it. Goodnight!

No comments: