Sunday, August 23, 2020

i needed to lose you to love me

Today marked an important milestone - I got my hair cut for the first time in a year. In fact, I just looked it up, and my last hair cut was on August 17. I'd tried a new salon then, was only marginally sold on it....and then went to Australia, Tahoe, Berlin, Gram's funeral, Thanksgiving, Christmas, LA/Oceanside, and Disney World. Granted, there were breaks in between, but I was still settling into my new house, dealing with work stuff, etc., and so I kept putting a hair cut off. And then quarantine happened. And so my hair was hitting the waistband of my jeans and had become impossible to dry in any reasonable amount of time, and it was all feeling just a bit too wild.

So I went to the Aveda salon on 32nd, and it was great. They only had 2-3 stylists there (in a salon with 12 chairs), and everyone wore masks and they took my temperature when I walked in, so it felt about as safe as it could. And my hair now feels bizarrely short, even though it's still below my shoulder blades. I never thought I would be this excited to get a hair cut, but desperate times.

Amusingly (not amusingly), I also discovered that I'm now incapable of walking in heels. I wore some platform sandals for like the second time since March, and while I was walking to the salon I completely ate it on the sidewalk - like, full on sprawl on the ground, skinned my elbow (it's hard to skin an elbow on a sidewalk), skinned a finger, and maybe pulled something in my left arm since I can't lift it above my head. So, my natural grace hasn't improved in quarantine, and my inability to wear shoes may become a problem in the after-times....but those times aren't here yet, so I'll go back to wearing slippers and sneakers and hope for the best.

Then I came home, threw some laundry in, and went back out to pick up lunch at Garbanzo's (I'm in a bit of a cooking strike, probably because it's been 95+ for weeks and everything is burning). I spent several hours this afternoon doing a variety of tings around the house. Then I talked to Joann and Jen (aka the friendship renewal group) - the fire situation in California sounds awful, so hopefully everyone stays safe.

After that, I packed up my cooler full of magic and went over to hang out with Katie and James in their back yard. I took stuff for Aperol spritzes, as well as a bunch of cheese and salami and snacks, and we had a delightful late afternoon the stretched on until ten p.m. They made burgers and sweet corn, and it was about as happy as it could be considering that our conversation kept turning to a variety of apocalyptic scenarios.

And now, I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: