Wednesday, August 19, 2020

jumping off your sinking ship instead of going down with it

I had another good day...maybe abnormally excessive heat and wildfires are good for me? I got up in time to write for a bit before work, which felt great. Then I sat in meetings pretty much straight through the day, but in one of them I got to tell some people about [censored]'s quarter trick and also eat bacon straight out of a ziploc bag, so it could be worse.

My last meeting of the day was unexpectedly canceled, so I snuck out (which is pretty easy to do when it's my house) and ran a couple of errands. I've been a fiend for the Nordstrom anniversary sale, and so I had a couple of returns to make + an order to pick up at the store, so I braved the Cherry Creek mall. The returns and pickups are practically contactless, so that was all easy. I also browsed the clothing section a bit and ended up buying a couple of things - the saleswoman who helped me said it's been awful for them (i.e. slow and no customers), although the people doing the online orders are slammed. So, since I felt bad for her and also like throwing money at my emotions, I now own a couple of sweaters that will not get worn until Denver stops setting records for 90+-degree days. But I'm sure I'll be happy to have them when the snow returns in like three weeks.

Then I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up some photos I'd ordered, and then I came home, tidied up some tings, and ate dinner (leftover grilled salad and chicken burger + some potato salad that Aunt B had sent home with me). Then I did my usual political season roundup of news (fox, abc, the hill, politico, etc) and came across this Politico interview with a major Republican operative who pretty much sums up my exact viewpoint on why and how conservativism has been replaced with Trumpism, despite little ideological connective tissue between standard conservative values (free trade, low deficits, serving as a voice of democracy around the world and standing in opposition to dictators, upholding the constitution for all) and how the current administration is turning all those conservative values on their head. And then I was sad.

But now I'm going to stop being sad and go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: