Saturday, August 01, 2020

this city's kind of evil and i need to find caffeine

For all that yesterday was bad, today was the exact opposite. I did a lot of good/fun/nourishing stuff today, and spent very little time on twitter, so it was pretty delightful. I got up and made coffee / meditated / journaled / made more coffee / cleaned some stuff out of my fridge so I could take out my trash, and then I sat down to write. I got almost a thousand words, which felt great... it's been a long time since I've felt good about writing, so it's too early to claim that I'm fully back in it, but early omens feel good.

Then I ate lunch outside (leftover salad from last night), and then I had to take care of an annoying errand - I had to pick up a FedEx package that I'd paid extra to have delivered at a specific time on Wednesday, and instead they'd held it at the delivery center on the other side of Denver. Annoying. But I didn't have to wait in line and I did it before rush hour, so I guess it could have been worse.

Then I cooked a bunch - I tested a recipe for a gluten free pie crust, and while it's too soon to tell because I didn't end up making the pie, the steps up to the point where it chills in the fridge look promising. Then I made supper - some lentil dish + some salmon in the oven, and it was delicious (and completely not something I ever would have eaten in Iowa). While I did all that I listened to a really good Dax Shepherd podcast with Angela Duckworth on grit and talent vs productivity - Duckworth has researched grit for a long time and I was actually on a panel at work about grit without having read her book, so it was v informative to hear her talk.

I ended the night by binging a book - I read BEACH READ in one sitting, and it was fantastic. So now I'm hungover from reading and don't want to sleep, but know I need to if I want to accomplish similar feats tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: