Thursday, August 20, 2020

crazy's my new best friend

I had a pretty lovely day, all in all - much better than I deserved, perhaps. I woke up this morning after slightly too little sleep (I stayed up an extra fifteen minutes last night texting with the friendship renewal crew, some of whom may have to evacuate from the wildfires that are spreading in the south bay (!)), and so I didn't get to write this morning (although I did journal for ten minutes). My meetings started at 8:30 and went straight through until 2, which was a bummer. But I ordered a spicy tuna poke bowl for lunch - I'm considering ordering lunch once a week while I'm working from home, since lunch by the end of the week is usually some weird mix of leftovers. Today's lunch was a success - even if a tuna poke bowl is, in some ways, not that dissimilar from the fact that I would have opened a can of tuna for lunch today. Of course, in almost all important ways, it's totally different (like, tuna that is high enough quality to eat raw is usually not what ends up in a can full of olive oil)...but regardless, lunch was tasty.

Then I slogged most of the afternoon, although I took a quick break to go to my favorite cheese shop down the street and grab some cheeses. I'd had a work videoconference with Alice (the other Alice that lives in Colorado, not the one who lives in London), and I discovered that she had just moved to Denver, and that her new roommate was a girl named Emily who worked with us both alllll the way back in 2008. So I invited them over for an impromptu happy hour, and it was wonderful - I hadn't seen Emily more than once or twice in the last twelve years, and so it was great to catch up with her. She just up and moved here from San Francisco....and apparently the housing market here is red hot, because Alice and Emily had trouble finding a place to rent and Alice's house in a different CO town went under contract in three days. Craziness.

So we had a great time hanging out and eating fancy cheese and drinking the prosecco that Alice brought. The prosecco was necessary because I had had to deal with a late afternoon work drama (nothing bad, just requiring some delicate work that I probably wasn't very delicate with)....and by the time Alice and Emily left, I didn't care anymore, which was nice. I cleaned up my house, put away dishes, watched some of the DNC, and read up on Twitter. And now, I think I'm going to actually try to go to bed early (yay) - goodnight!

No comments: