Thursday, August 27, 2020

skies ripped open by the sun, daylight comes but not soon enough

It's 12:37am and I should almost certainly be in bed, but my schedule is weirdly fucked up and I had to work a couple of hours tonight. When I got up this morning I took care of a bunch of tings around the house rather than writing, and then I slogged pretty much straight from nine to four. I did some of that slogging outside on my patio, which was delightful - there is probably still smoke in the air, but it's so much better than it was that I ignored it.

Also this morning, a couple of guys came over to give me a quote on what it would take to lay some pipe (heh). More specifically, I'm going to put a fire pit in the backyard, and they were quoting what it would take to make the fire pit natural gas instead of propane. It sounded dicey at first, but then they took a look at my basement and said it would be super easy to connect in the basement and run a pipe + a shutoff out through the east wall of the basement (rather than the north wall, where my gas grill is, which is way too far away). They also said Denver permitting is pretty fast, so that's good to know. I still need to figure out the concrete plan outside (i.e. whether/how they'll cut the concrete - but luckily there are seams that they can maybe cut along, so idk), but a gas fire pit would make me super happy, so I think I'll make it happen.

Sometime around four, I paused the endless slog to talk to Tomas, whom I hadn't talked to in ages. We exchanged notes on our boredom and crankiness at the end of the world, which is pretty much all conversations right now. Then I unfortunately needed to do a bit more work, but I did it while waiting for fancy pasta from Bar Dough - I was going to grill tonight, but there was a sudden downpour, so fancy pasta was the way to go.

Then I watched the RNC, which was a bit bizarre because almost all the speeches were pretaped (but made to appear live) and so didn't reference anything about hurricanes or Kenosha or anything else of a more urgent matter. And then I took care of some laundry, took out my contacts, and slogged a couple of hours.

But now I've survived another day, which is always a feat in this day and age, so it's time for bed. Goodnight!

No comments: