Sunday, August 09, 2020

and i'm backsliding into this just one more time

Today was my last day of vacation - which meant that the usual Sunday Scaries were approximately four weeks of Sunday Scaries, simmered and reduced and enriched into a super-powerful version of my usual Sunday afternoon malaise. It wasn't really quite as bad as I made it sound, and I pulled myself out of it in the end. But I had such a good break, and while there are some things I'm excited about when it comes to going back to work ('back' being figurative), I'm not quite ready to end my delightful summer slacking.

However, all vacations end. I spent today trying to prep for it, but I didn't sleep well last night, so I was a bit low-energy all day. I got up and had some iced coffee and made some lists, etc., and then walked down to the farmer's market to pick up some tings. Unfortunately by the time I got there it was 10:30 and I think it was already ninety degrees, so I very nearly overheated walking home - especially as I was overburdened by tings I bought at the farmer's market. This mostly involved too many veggies, most of which I may or may not get around to eating; one of the veg stalls usually offers a 'fill a bag for $15' deal, and then they threw in a second bag for free because it was so hot that they were trying to sell out so they could go home. So, I ended up with a second bag full of stuff that I didn't totally need (including three ears of corn, because why not). That meant that, after I got home and put cold water on my face and took off my pants, I had to redo my meal plan for the week to accommodate the changes wrought by my veggie surplus.

After that, I ate some lunch (leftover quinoa salad). Then I drove down to Cherry Creek to pick up a grill basket and a grill brush from Crate and Barrel - perhaps not the most economical place to get those items, but they offer curbside pickup and the basket looks awesome, so I'm v. excited to test it out. I was going to go to Whole Foods to supplement the farmer's market haul, but there was a line out the door, and as it was 100 degrees and we're in a pandemic, I skipped it.

Instead, I stopped at the cheese shop in my neighborhood and bought some burrata to go with the heirloom tomatoes I bought this morning. Then I came home, took care of some house tings, started to freak out about the Sunday Scaries, and instead forced myself to put together my new office. I'm moving my day job office to my dining room, thus preserving the whole upstairs of my house for me-time (and writing time). So I carried my ergonomic desk chair downstairs, gathered a bunch of pens and paper and other day job accoutrements, organized cords and chargers, etc. That made me feel weirdly better about the Sunday Scaries, and I feel pretty well set up for tomorrow, so that's all good.

Then I called my parents, who sounded like they were doing well. I also made dinner - pretty easy, since I just chopped up some tomatoes, added half the ball of burrata, and drizzled oil and balsamic over it. But I also made garlic bread to accompany it, which was not at all gourmet - I mashed up some butter with garlic salt, buttered both sides of some gluten free bread, and toasted it in a skillet like Texas toast. It's not a traditional accompaniment to burrata, but it was pretty delicious, so yay me.

Then I talked to [censored], since he was [censored] and had an hour left to go. And then I folded laundry, tidied some more, etc. And now I need to go to bed so I can write before work (and hopefully find the courage to overcome the first-day-in-a-month email inbox). Goodnight!

No comments: