Friday, August 28, 2020

i think i've seen this film before and i didn't like the ending

I'm sitting in a hotel in Kearney, Nebraska, and I should have gone to bed an hour ago, but my soul is still on Mountain time even if my body is physically located in Central time. Today was about as good as it could have been, given that prepping for a road trip in the apocalypse feels a bit Mad Max: Fury Road-ish (but without the weird lactation subplot) (but also, now that I think about it, spraying chrome on my face while saying 'I live, I die, I live again' would not be the weirdest thing to do in 2020) (if you didn't see Fury Road, apologies for the last two parenthetical remarks).

sssanyway. I got up in time to do some stuff around the house, and then I had a quick writing date with V, which was delightful. Then I worked for awhile - I needed to get some stuff done before taking off, of course, and so I slogged for several hours and wrapped up the stuff that absolutely had to get done. At some point, though, I threw in the towel - I needed to take my petunias + my peace lily over to Katie's. Since I will be gone approx ten days, most of my indoor plants can survive a short drought, but the peace lily is v. thirsty all the time, and the outdoor containers can't go that long without water either. Hopefully the peace lily survives going back and forth to Katie's house - but it seems fitting, since it was a gift from her when my gram died anyway. Although I guess most gifts aren't taken care of part-time in perpetuity by the gift-giver, so idk what the etiquette is here.

sssanyway again. After Katie and I spent ten minutes having a depressing conversation on her porch (side note: every friend or coworker I've talked to this week has hit a wall with how awful everything feels), I quickly ran to the grocery store to get ice and bread for the cooler, and then went home and finished loading my car, taking out the trash, etc. By the time I got out of Denver, it was a little after four and was most certainly rush hour. This was the first time I've driven in anything approaching real traffic in like six months, so it was a bit of a shock.

But the rest of the drive was smooth; I only stopped in Ogallala for gas/bathroom/one of those disgusting 'mocha cappuccinos' that is a powder dispensed from a machine and is like a thousand calories. So I made it to Kearney in five hours, and when I got here I felt like I maybe could have gone farther, but I'd already made a reservation. So I stopped here, checked in, and made a tasty picnic dinner using the jar of cobb salad I'd brought with me (along with a plate, silverware, and even a spatula to get the last of the dressing out of the jar) + the remainder of a bottle of wine that had been sitting in my fridge, which I brought with me rather than letting it go to waste. I also wrote a bit tonight - the book might be shaping up into something great, but we'll see how I feel about that in the morning.

And now I need to go to bed - I have no plans to get out of here super early tomorrow given that it's one a.m., but we'll see. Goodnight!

No comments: