Monday, January 04, 2021

i ain't blind and i don't like what i think i see

The one-day-delayed Sunday Scaries have arrived right on schedule. I actually think my headache is because I was away from Denver's altitude for three weeks and am dehydrated-ish, but we'll see how tomorrow treats me.

That said, I feel pretty happy about what I did today before my headache hit. I got up reasonably early, made coffee, meditated, and then sat in my writing office and did a couple of hours of writing work. I took a break when Katie called, and I lured myself into being distracted by inviting myself over to her backyard for lunch. Before I went, I made some dry rub spice mix and prepped a pork shoulder so that it could rest in my fridge for a few hours, and I also showered so I wouldn't smell like dry rub.

When I got to Katie's, we hung out in the backyard, wearing our coats and pretending that everything was fine. Luckily, while Denver's altitude can be a bitch, the weather is often not bad - it was in the fifties and sunny, so while it was not the kind of weather that would have caused me to actively choose an outdoor lunch in the beforetimes, it was certainly feasible to do it today. So, we hung out for a couple of hours, caught up on life, and ate poke bowls (we did not share with James because he is allergic to fish and also had to leave for a doctor's appointment anyway). It was great to see her, of course, and I wish all days in quarantine could be this lovely...

After we finished, I swung by my house and then went to the grocery store (with a detour to wash the Iowa gravel dust off my car). When my groceries were duly procured, I came home, put everything away, and then threw the pork shoulder in the instant pot. This wasn't entirely effortless, since I seared it first, then deglazed the pot before pressure cooking it, but it was as close to effortless as you can get for making a tasty meat dish. However, I started it slightly later than I had planned, and even with pressure cooking it takes almost an hour and a half. So while it was cooking, I ate leftover thai food from yesterday, and then did a bunch of housekeeping stuff to bring things into a semblance of order.

And now, I need to stop staring at my screens and maybe spend a few minutes reading paper before bed - goodnight!

No comments: