Wednesday, January 20, 2021

river running free, you know how i feel

Well, today was something. I didn't get nearly enough day job work done (although I slogged very steadily all afternoon), but I watched the inauguration, ordered a poke bowl for lunch, and forced myself to answer many emails. In the evening, I made a potato fennel gratin to go with some leftover ham balls from my freezer - the potato fennel gratin is basically just fancy scalloped potatoes, and while it would have been healthier to eat a salad and ride my Peloton, tonight called for fancy potatoes instead.

As for the inauguration, I will spare much commentary since it will likely either offend some of my readers or duplicate what the rest of you already feel. But for my own posterity upon rereading someday, the highlights:

* the national youth poet laureate, Amanda Gorman, read an incredible poem and I'm in awe of her talent

* Garth Brooks' a cappella version of Amazing Grace made me cry (and also text [censored] to congratulate him that one of his classmates got to perform at the inauguration, since Garth graduated from the same graduate school as [censored] and surprised everyone by showing up to get his diploma)

* Lady Gaga definitely had some Hunger Games vibes, but her voice is out of this world

* I wish I looked good in high-waisted wide-legged pants, but I do not, so I will leave them to Michelle Obama

* it was rather nice, after the last four years, to see a pretty bipartisan display of unity in the speeches from McConnell, McCarthy, etc....and now we see what comes next

And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: