Sunday, March 22, 2020

and somewhere in the darkness the gambler he broke even

Today was a particularly lazy day and I think I had a hangover at eight p.m., so I'm going to have to make some changes for tomorrow. That's not to say it was a bad day, exactly....but my phone says I spent seven hours on it (40min actually talking on the phone, 6hr20min scrolling aimlessly), which is perhaps my new worst record ever.

I did manage to get a couple of things done. I cleaned up my kitchen, washed my bedsheets, did some laundry, and made some v. tasty french toast for brunch. I also spent some quality time down in the basement to put some order around my stockpiles - I'm not done yet, but I have a better sense of how I need to organize things than I did before.

But I gave up on productivity around two. First I talked to my dad briefly, which was good - I should have been home this weekend for their anniversary, and we should have had dinner at a Brazilian steakhouse tonight, but I guess survival is more important (and the restaurants in Iowa are closed anyway). Then I talked to Terry for awhile - she was supposed to get married today, and that was called off as well (because of coronavirus, obvi). While talking to her, I drank a whole goblet of rosé - I got out one of my fancy Waterford crystal wine glasses that I never think to use for myself, and I quite enjoyed drinking out of it while having a virtual happy hour.

After I talked to Terry, I had a snack, took a nap, poured another goblet of wine, and talked to Joann, Jen, and Jane (my friendship renewal crew). Everyone is taking this social distancing thing pretty seriously, so we're all going a little stir crazy. That group is all supposed to come and see me in May, but we'll see if May is a month in which we're allowed to leave the house....

Then, I talked to Claudia (aka Santy Claude) for a little bit, since she'd called while I was talking to J/J/J. I also ate leftover chicken chile verde, then went deep on twitter, and then pulled myself out and started a cross stitch project (yeah, I don't know, things are getting weird).

And now I shall leave you with some recommendations of the best things I saw / read / learned today:

- the Muppets / Kenny Rogers music video for 'The Gambler' is incredibly weird and worth watching. RIP Kenny.

- this Melbourne zoo employee dancing for the livestream camera is mildly entertaining

- I learned how a bat pees

- a long but interesting article on when the Romanovs visited their British cousins (King Edward VII and his family) in 1909 [note: this is probably not interesting to anyone but me]

Stay inside and goodnight!

No comments: