Friday, March 06, 2020

dance of the clairvoyants

I got a bunch of stuff done today, but not nearly everything I was supposed to. I did, however, journal this morning before making it to a 9am dental appointment in Boulder, so I'll take it. Then I slogged until mid-afternoon - the office was v. empty, and the quiet was nice, but it also felt vaguely ominous.

So it's no wonder I went overboard on doomsday prepping this afternoon. When I left the office I made a Costco run, followed by a Target run, followed by a Whole Foods run. I'm not exactly worried about coronavirus for myself, but I do think it's highly likely that I'll need to work from home a lot in the next few weeks.

My usual standard of living typically involves my office feeding me 10 times during the week, then going out or eating leftovers 2-4x / week, which leaves about five meals I'm actually responsible for, most of which turn into something on toast (eggs, avocado, tuna, peanut butter). Or I'm traveling and not making anything at all. So if I'm basically grounded from a travel standpoint and forced to work from home, I need a lot more food than I typically keep on hand.

Of course, I bought more than I probably needed to - but I have a basement now and canned things and dry goods don't expire very fast, so buying flats of black beans, tomatoes, boxes of pasta, etc won't go to waste. And I have been meaning to do some more meal prep in terms of making/freezing things for rainy days (or sick days), so I plan to spend Sunday chopping and cooking and freezing (and doing my taxes, and probably some day job work).

sssanyway. That's all boring, but then, this whole blog is. When I got home, I put away groceries and then made spaghetti all'amatriciana, which is one of my favorites (and super easy - bacon, garlic, red onion, crushed red pepper flakes, a can of tomato sauce, and some spaghetti). And then I meant to work, but I mostly read Twitter and fell asleep in my chair like an old person. Maybe my immune system will be more vulnerable to coronavirus than I thought.

And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: