Friday, March 13, 2020

kill the headlights and put it in neutral

It's day five of working from home (officially day three, but I worked from home Monday and Tuesday, before the office closure was announced). I may be going slowly insane. I haven't seen a person I know since Katie and I had dinner at El Five on Monday, which was a lifetime and many germs ago. My fridge is now utterly full of food, and I could easily survive for a month (maybe two, although I'll run out of cream for my coffee at some point), but I still feel some vague unease that I haven't prepped enough.

sssanyway. I worked all day, mostly meetings. I also took a break to watch some of Trump's speech, which was a) in retrospect sad/hilarious because apparently he completely exaggerated/lied about the website my company was supposedly working on and b) probably a good way to watch a bunch of older men pass coronavirus to each other, since Trump seemed to purposefully insist on shaking almost everyone's hand (the later CEOs seemed to realize what was happening and dodge contact). Then I sloughed off early to run to the mall and pick up a new coffeemaker. When I picked it up, I gave my name, and the woman asked if my mom's name was Jean....to which I replied "yes!", but it turns out her old coworker was a different Jean, with a different daughter named Sara, both of whom have my last name. Super weird, so clearly there is a glitch in the matrix at the moment.

I also bought some more comfy pants at Athleta, since I'm stranded here forever, and I was already out and risking coronavirus anyway. Then I went to Whole Foods and got a couple more tings, mostly produce, but also some hamburger. They were completely and utterly sold out of eggs, so I felt vindicated that I went out and panic bought eggs on Wednesday. They were also completely cleared out of all frozen fruits and vegetables, all pastas and beans and lentils (except some of the weirdest beans), all limes (not necessary, but I would have grabbed a few if they were there), all peppers except jalapenos (but they had tomatillos, so I'm making chile verde this week), and all garlic. That said, my previous prepping was clearly spot-on, since the things they were out of were things I'd already stocked up on.

Then I came home, put away my stash, ate some leftover pasta, and watched the India episode of 'Ugly Delicious' with Padma Lakshmi and Aziz Ansari. I follow Padma on Instagram bc I love her on Top Chef (and my friend Roopa performs carnatic music for her on the regular), and I'd seen that she was on the show, so I thought it might be a good way to spend a Friday night of social isolation. All it did was make me miss India. But then, I would miss any kind of travel to anywhere, with anyone, at this point, so maybe that's not fair. But it was an excellent episode, and I loved it. Then I went back and started with the first episode of the first season and it was super boring by comparison; it seems to be a show that has found its legs later on.

Now, though, I should sleep - not that I have any plans tomorrow, but I will find a variety of tings around the house to entertain me. Goodnight!

No comments: