Sunday, March 15, 2020

i can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord

It's becoming normal to talk to no one and do nothing of interest. You might think that this was normal two years ago, given my blog - but I'm convinced that this hermiting is different than my usual hermiting. For one, when I bail on social plans in other contexts, I don't obsessively wash my hands - so clearly this is different!

Today's social distancing was slightly higher risk - I decided to run a couple of errands. I think I maintained sufficient distance from other people, but we'll see whether I die as a result. I finally succumbed to the panic hoarder in my subconscious who was whispering that I don't have enough alcohol - this is patently false, but I was down to my last two bottles of my favorite wine, so of course I had to rectify that. I went to Molly's for the first time - it's very similar to Hazel's in Boulder, but it's seven minutes from my house instead of thirty-seven, so that was a good discovery. They had my favorite wine in stock, so I bought seven bottles; I also grabbed a couple of other bottles opportunistically, grabbed another bottle of tequila just in case (just in case I start doing shots alone? idk?), and also bought gin because I didn't have any gin and of course the coronavirus is going to make me crave gin and tonics. My inner panic hoarder is really wreaking havoc on my bank account.

Then I stopped at the atm and got cash (see: inner panic hoarder turning on the turn signal when she saw a bank), and then I went to Echter's nursery to buy some new plant friends. Social distancing was easy here since there weren't many people and almost everyone was looking at each other v. suspiciously. I was clearly leaning deep into "find comfort in beauty" - I bought an African violet (because I'm turning into my mom), and I also bought a bromeliad just to add some color. Echter's has a really nice greenhouse, and I could have stayed there forever.

But instead, I grabbed a couple of things at King Sooper (mostly some kitchen spray that I'd missed getting before, as well as some Tostitos and salsa con queso for my innter stressed-out sixteen-year-old - otherwise I feel pretty prepped). Then I came home, straightened things up, organized my plans, took a v. brief nap, and took a shower. Then I talked to [censored], who was in fine form. And then I spent some quality time making chicken and wild rice soup + chopping up celery for future uses. The soup turned out perfectly, so at least there's that. And then I did some day job work, and now I'm done.

Wash your hands and stay home, everyone! Goodnight!

No comments: