Tuesday, March 24, 2020

give in to that easy living, goodbye to my hopes and dreams

I had a v long, v productive day with quite a bit of (virtual) socializing at the end of it. I woke up and journaled for a few minutes, but I then started working around eight, and worked pretty much straight through until six. I did take a break to walk around outside for twenty minutes, which definitely helped my mood. And, as soon as I was done, I poured a glass of wine and talked to Caroline (a coworker who is also a friend) for almost two hours. We had a v. nice conversation and also a v. nice realization that, while it would have been better to see each other in person, this model is also great because we can drink as much as we want and not have to worry about driving or staying over at each other's houses.

Then I ate the takeout I'd ordered - some excellent restaurants are coming online for delivery, and I want to do my part to help them stay alive in these awful times, so I ordered a steak and garlicky fries from Cuba Cuba. I haven't had fries in well over two weeks, so they were particularly delicious, and I saved half the steak + the plantains I'd ordered so that I have something tasty to eat tomorrow as well. And then I had a 9pm call about some work stuff, which was really not appreciated.

Then I closed my work laptop and spent an hour and a half chatting with Irish Matt. If there is any silver lining to the apocalypse, it's that people are generally socializing with the people who matter to them rather than the people who are physically close to them, and so I'm talking more regularly to v. important friends, which feels really lovely. Of course, it doesn't feel lovely that we're on the verge of mass death and that we seem to be handling this worse than just about any country in the world, and I would also prefer to discuss these things over cocktails at a bar....but I am really enjoying talking to more friends more regularly.

And now, it's time for bed. The only link I'll give you is this crown from almost four thousand years ago (12th dynasty, middle kingdom, Egypt). It was worn an incomprehensibly long time ago, and yet it feels fresh and modern...which is a good reminder that life, uh, finds a way, and humans will get through this as well. Goodnight!

No comments: