Wednesday, March 25, 2020

i'm begging of you please don't take my man

I've got to say, if you're going to try to jazz up your stay-at-home orders, don't do it by getting a tongue biopsy. I had a small spot on the side of my tongue that is probably nothing, but my dentist thought I should get it checked just in case. I naively assumed this meant the oral surgeon would just scrape it off. Instead, he dug a hole in the side of my tongue and then stitched it up, which was a really unwelcome development. The tongue, as it turns out, is not a fun place for a biopsy - not fun while a tech grabs your tongue and holds it out so that the surgeon can do his business, and not fun in the aftermath when the local anaesthetic wears off and all the pain shows up.

sssanyway. I've gotta wait a couple of weeks for the results, and it will take a week or so to heal, which is rather unfortunate timing. My stay-at-home meal plan mostly involved soup and other hot things, and now all I want are cold things. So I stopped at the grocery store after the procedure - I thought I was stocked up, but I had to go in and pick up frozen fruits (which are luckily back around) for smoothies, and some ice cream, and some garbanzo beans that I finally opportunistically found at the right time. The grocery store was taking social distancing seriously, which felt like a bizarre and fear-inducing experience (fear-inducing only because of how quickly the grocery store reconfigured itself to keep people apart). But I got what I needed, came home, and stopped at Dairy Queen on the way to get a blizzard, which went a long way toward making me feel better.

Then, unfortunately, I had a four-hour meeting and was probably not at my best because my tongue hurt. Then I spent the evening relaxing and refusing to do any work, and then I had a family dinner hangout with Chandlord, Adit, Claude/Sam, John/Jess, and Zach and Maggie. I haven't talked to Zach and Maggie for ages, so it was great to hear their updates (even if talking to doctors right now is not particularly comforting). And now, after a couple of hours of excellent family time, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: